I'm sitting in Starbucks on 75th Ave and Thunderbird. I'm enjoying reading the Word of God. I'm currently reading Mathew 15-21 for my Life Transformation Group. Matthew 16:25 pokes me in the eye and I stope to read it. Here is what it says: "For whoever wishes to save his life will lost it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." Matthew 16:25 The above verse just stares at me. The words SAVE and LOSE are begging for meditation. My phone rings and ithe person who called me is in pain - heart pain, emotional pain, pain. I listen and love and share my feelings and thoughts with my friend. I share with them Matthew 16:25. It is amazing how God guides us in His Word to use for His glory and the comfort of others. I told me friend in pain to stop haning on to what you think will bring relief and life. I told my friend to let go of what you think you need - jettison the negative thoughts and the selfish throughts and lose your life for Jesus' sake, it is there that you will find life. I no sooner hung up with my friend and my phone rings again. It is another person in crisis. Another broken heart that needs Jesus to mend it. My friend admits that jesus is the answer, that His ways are true and necessary. Then comes these words, "But it is so hard to choose Jesus' way." Which is harder, to do your own thing your own way which leads to continued heartache (saving your life) or choosing to follow Jesus and do things His way, to do things differenly and there find true relief, purpose and life. The choice is actually easy - choose life (Jesus' way) not death (your way). My conversation ends and the guy sitting next to me at Starbucks is reading the sports page. I ask him what he things about the Suns game tonight - we trade opinions. I stick my nose in a book I've been trying to get into and read, but has been quite boring to be honest. The book is entitled Resident Aliens by Stanley Hauerwas and William H. Willimon. The subtitle is A provocative Christian assessment of culture and ministry for people who know tha tsomething is wrong. Catchy title, boring content - until this reading. My socks were knocked off by what I read about journey in life, community and perseverence. I came across this one sentence found on page 65, "By cutting back our attachments and commitments, the self shrinks rather than grows." Powerful words. I immediately call the last person who called me but another person answered the phone. This person has recently also gone through some deep waters. I share the sentence and the person is encouraged to engage people. The person I intended to call was not available - I call back later and share the sentence "By cutting back our attachments and commitments, the self shirnks rather than grows." I hope my friend will act upon our conversation. I set off this morning to find a quite place at Starbucks to sit and spend time with Jesus. I know I did. I know He is at work - even through me!

Comments

  1. I thought Willimon and Haweraus were very provacative - I was meditating on similar passages in Luke's Gospel this week. The challenge of being counter culture - when we are so rooted! We need new paradigms - actually we just need to rediscover the Jesus' paradigm - which you found in Luke 16. We need to disconnect with so much of our culture. But we are so connected - like using this machine to communicate with each other and the world. Keep on following Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts