Day Four

I woke up at 4:30 this morning. My body clock has not still fully adjusted but I’m grateful for the 6 hours sleep the Lord has provided each night. What normally takes about 30 minutes to do at home in the morning (shower, shave and getting dressed) takes about an hour here. I have to wait for the hot water to warm up and then taking a shower consists of putting warm water in a bucket and then splash yourself with the water, apply soap and wash. Then you dip a pitcher in the bucket and rinse yourself off. It is like taking a sponge bath when camping. That is everyday life here for us. I can’t wait to take a long hot shower with a washrag. The morning began with an 1 1/2 hour taxi ride to a church in the Vasai area of Bombay. Bud was cramped into the Mini-Cooper taxi and really hurt his back by being squished for so long. We actually took a freeway for part of the way and went over a mountain pass. At the top of the pass there was a sign that said, “Look out for Leopards”. It is another world. As we entered the Vasai area, the poverty seemed to increase if that were possible. We saw people surviving by digging in trash and begging for money. At the church where the team was teaching at, the people were so happy and gracious. They praised the Lord, sang and danced. Just before lunch, we were singing more songs and worshipping the Lord. The song they sang asked for the name of Jesus to echo throughout their town, country and world. The people were singing very loudly and many were dancing. One of the pastors came up to me and grabbed my hand and began dancing with me. Jumping up and down and swaying to the music. Here in India, it is common for men to hold hands and put their arms around each other as a sign of friendship and relationship. This man just held my hand as danced and danced. It was fun and liberating. I could sense the love of Christ. We then had lunch and it was traditional Indian food that was delicious. The people loved us for only being there a short time. They took our pictures, asked for our e-mail and cell numbers. Many promised to come to the states and visit us and almost everyone begged us to return to their country and share the truth of Jesus with them. I wouldn’t be surprised to return home and find many e-mails from new friends. As we departed that place, tears were shed, hugs were given, prayers were offered and friendships developed. We left that church and headed for the airport to fly to Delhi, India. This was a domestic airport and it was much nicer than the International airport. As we waited for our flight, we sat and watched a Cricket match on a very large flat screen TV. The National Director here in India, Matthew, taught me all about Cricket. It was fun to watch once I understood what was happening. As we took off for Delhi, we flew over a sea of slums. People living on dirt or mud floors covered by pieces of cardboard or tin. As I looked at the streets of Bombay floating away from me, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for how the streets came to be. There did not appear to be any design to it all. It is amazing to me how people survive and thrive in such an environment. As we landed in Delhi, we took our bags to the curb and waited for another EID partner, Titus, to come and pick us up. There were a couple of men who tried to insist on taking our bags and helping us. It was difficult to not allow them because they were so insistent. Finally Titus arrived and we went and had a snack at Matthew’s and his wife Suma’s home. Matthew’s home was much, much, much different from any home I’d seen so far. He lived on the seventh floor of a condominium. His home was much closer to what we are used to in the States. Matthew and Suma have two boys, Joshua and David and I had a great time playing with them as I thought about my grandsons whom I miss dearly. Finally, we arrived at our hotel. This had marble floors but that doesn’t mean that it was lavish in any way. The cost is about $45.00 per night. The door to the room looks like it has been opened more with a butter knife than with a key (we didn’t leave any valuables here). The furniture was low grade Wal-mart type and beds were hard as they were at the retreat center (I can’t wait for my bed). My sheets looked as if they had not been washed and the one towel we had was not washed well if at all. We do have a western toilet (praise the Lord) but the shower area is still bucket and pitcher style. I fell to sleep quickly thanking God for all that I’m experiencing and begging Him for souls and a heart that appreciates all that I have in Him. I pray God is blessing you and your life as you continue to grow in His grace and mercy too. Blessings, Ed

Comments

Popular Posts