I Can Learn A Lot From Codi

My wife woke me up at 3:50am. My alarm didn't go off and I needed to take some friends to the airport for an early morning flight. "Early" may be relative to some, but 4:00AM is always too early for me. So, I threw on some clothes, popped an allergy med, blew my nose and took off to pick up my friends. As I pulled into their drive way, the clock in my car read 4:04am - four minutes late. The garage door was open, the lights were on and Lisa's two boys waiting to get on the road. Funny how a 16 & 12 year old can be so energetic at 4:04am when vacation is happening :-) After we loaded up the luggage, we pulled away from their home and headed to the airport. There were scattered conversations that took about 20 seconds each as we drove through the dark. Not too much to talk about that early in the morning. Arie's iPod was blaring and Codi was a bundle of joy as he often is. As we sped down the freeway, Lisa told me that Codi wanted to feed the homeless in downtown Phoenix. Codi talked about it some and said he wanted to see that happen. My heart was filled with joy to hear a 12 year old speak such truth. I was reminded of Ezekiel 16:49
"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless east, but she did not help the poor and needy."
My life is a lot like this verse - and easy life and not too concerned about the poor and needy. Codi was used by the Lord to ponder that action needs to happen towards the poor and needy. Codi and his family get back in town next Sunday and I plann on talking to Codi to see if he'll help in organizing a time to serve the poor...maybe he can go the rescue mission with me and my friend Neil. As we pulled up to the airport, Codi was telling me about his latest ping pong experience at school. He said that he had volunteered to be a mentor for the handicapped students in his school and that he had enjoyed inviting some of the handicapped students to play ping pong with him. I can learn a lot from Codi!

Comments

Popular Posts