Spiritual Information Addicts

For most Americans, more stuff seems important.  How many bikes do I need to have covered up in my backyard or hanging from my garage rafters to be enough?  Do I really need another patio set to use once or at the most three times a year?  Why am I opposed to borrowing one from my neighbor when I need it?  Do I really need another pair of shoes?  The questions and lists could go on.  What is it about acquiring more that is so intoxicating?

But I don't want to talk only about items we own around our homes, I'd rather talk about our culture's addiction to acquiring more information, specifically about the Bible.  Far too many believers will sit in a comfy chair two weeks a month to hear a 30 - 40 minute talk about some good and solid spiritual truth and rarely do anything about what they have learned.  These newly acquired truths sit in their brains and are too often forgotten.  In the following week or two they head back to the same comfy chair to hear another 30 - 40 minute talk about some other solid truth, only to have it be forgotten and not applied.  What is it about acquiring Biblical information that is so intoxicating?

What if instead of simply acquiring more and more Biblical information, we focus on distributing the spiritual resources deposited in our souls?  I believe this would serve to enhance the realms we travel in.  What is the responsibility of teachers who move from topic to topic, week after week, serving to saturate brains and souls with truth never lived out?  I really don't know the answer to that question but I do believe we must ponder it.  Is there a way to help people live out what they are taught?  Are those teachers simply and unintentionally serving more information to spiritual information addicts?

So here is the Scripture I read this morning that flooded all of these thoughts to my soul. 

"From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more."  Luke 12:48b

What is required of those of us who are constantly acquiring more and more spiritual truths but who are not distributing these truths?  What does it mean when we are 'entrusted' with spiritual truth?  One of the first truths we ought to be taught is the last thing Jesus said to His disciples, "Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them...and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded...".  It seems to me that living out this spiritual truth will take the rest of our lives, even as we learn more.

I would love to hear what you think.


Comments

  1. I feel this same conviction about social media. Lot's of God-honoring content, but how many inspirational blog posts and tweets do I really need to read before I go out and find where God is working in my neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, that is really true as well bro. Let me know how the search in your neighborhood goes in the next few weeks...I really would love to hear. I do think that mentoring by action (doing) is better than mentoring by words...so I'll stop typing now :-) Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Thank you for this post. For me it's tied to a deep restlessness that somehow, even if only for a moment, new information seems alleviate. We know we aren't living out our faith the way we could or aren't experiencing the joy and power of Christ. New information distracts us from that feeling. It becomes our idol. Instead of going to Christ with our ineptness and relying on His strength, we go to 'teachers' and lessons and Bible studies. Thos things have the appearance of godliness but often lack power. The problem is also in the information that we are getting. It's milk so often and doesn't connect with our souls in such a way as to spur us on to greater love and deeds. Perhaps we should fast from books,sermons, Bible studies, curriculum, and just pray and obey for a while. nough rambling. Thankful for you Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff, thanks for the comment bro. We often do get milk when we need meat because by now, we should all be teachers (Hebrews 5:11-14). I guess it is true that not much has changed. Hope to see you sooner than later Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff, Ed! I attended the MINE conference in Lancaster, PA last month where you were the featured speaker - so this is reinforcing the theme of not only that conference, but many other books and conferences that the Lord has been guiding our little church here in the northern Pocono Mts. of PA towards of late! (WHEW - talk about your run-on sentences!)

    I'm grateful to have found you on here, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Maria - I'm glad this post was of some benefit to you. Keep up the Kingdom work in the Pococno's! If I can ever be of help to you, do not hesitate to contact me :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts