Leading and Following: The Art of Humility

I have been fly fishing for about 20 years now. I love the smell of the outdoors, the sound of a river carving its way through the wilderness. I love the challenge of finding fish who are interested in feasting and the work that is required to get up early, drive a good distance, put on the flyfishing uniform and then hike until your thighs ache. It is so worth it...especially when the fish bite and pole bends and the fight begins. Last week I went fishing with a newer friend who just happens to have been a fly fishing guide. In my 20 years of fly-fishing, I have only hired a guide one time - and then my friend actually hired him (thanks nameless friend). Having a guide is outstanding. It actually brings the river and experience to an even brighter level. I mean the guide knows the waters of that stream or river. They have logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on that river. They know the season, where the fish are, what the fish are looking to eat at that time of the year, month and even hour. They know the best techniques to be used on the river. Guides are overflowing with advice to help you improve your cast, to help you learn what you are looking for and to be an encourager when you do things well. Having a guide makes fly-fishing fantastic. Last week, my new friend the fly-fishing guide, reminded me of the qualities of a good leader. I mean this guy was confident about fly-fishing. He knew what he was doing and like I said, he really was free to give out the advice needed to help me improve. His confidence began to rub off on me and I started believing that I could actually do what he was instructing me to do. It made the experience very enjoyable. But this guy was not only confident, he was humble and gentle. We went fishing, not so he could guide me, we went as friends. But even though he was not 'on the clock', he took his time with me and even put off his fishing to help me, coach me and encourage me. This friend has a rare blend of confidence and humility. I told my friend that he had that rare blend. I also told him that I would like to have that blend and to imitate his leadership. That encouraged him. I also told him this leadership qualities really matched those that Jesus exuded in many ways. But all of that reminds me of one verse that I read this morning from the book of Phillipians, chapter 3 and verse 17. It is a really simple verse actually. Here is what it says; "Brethren, join in following my example, and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us." Philippians 3:17 Here are two principles that just leap off the page at me regarding our being Christ followers: 1. As believers, we should be inviting others to follow our example of how we follow Jesus. Certainly that implies that we are actually making an effort to follow Jesus with passion, truth and perseverance. 2. We should not only invite others to follow us (mentor them), but we should also find those who will mentor us. Paul says in this verse to 'observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us." Do you have folks around you who you watch (observe) how they live out their faith? I have several mentors in my life who live near me, in other states and other countries. I have mentors whom I've never meant (authors) and those whom I see weekly. We all need mentors in our lives and we all need to be mentoring others. Both should be done intentionally, purposefully and regularly. We should follow the pattern of Paul but also the pattern of my fly-fishing friend. We should be confident in Christ and what He has taught us as His followers (whether we have been a Christ follower for a few days or many years) and we should be humble in how we help people. We should do so with consistency, patience, love, spreading hope and encouragement to those who are following after Jesus. In short, we should all be making disciples of Jesus Christ. You know, it happens by just living life together - or just be walking a stream and talking about our common passions. The moral of this article may just be to walk with a few others in life and show each other how to struggle and be strong in following Jesus. Discipling people can be that easy. What do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts