Making Disciples: What's It All About?

I have been having an e-mail conversation with a guy who many would view as a seasoned believer who is faithful, an entrepreneur, and very talented having accomplished much in life and ministry.  Many churches could easily desire him to move in the direction of eldership in their community of saints.  With all of this man's wonderful talents, abilities and accomplishments he made the following statement in one of our recent e-mail exchanges; "Still trying to figure out what it looks like to make a disciple though."  

My friend is not alone.  There are many 'seasoned' people I meet that can't really articulate what it takes to make a disciple.  Most would admit that they have never made a disciple themselves.  This seems odd to me because it is the final commandment that Jesus gave in Matthew 28:19-20.  We really should be obeying this command with intentionality.  Many view the making of disciples as a cognitive (knowledge based) exercise.  Disciple making is too often reduced to a set of beliefs, Bible studies and doctrines.  When discipleship is defined as teaching people doctrines and facts, then I can understand that why most people don't make disciples or are even able to articulate what the process looks like.

I believe that helping people to be like Jesus (a disciple), is both much easier - everyone can do it - and much harder - it really takes commitment - than teaching a set of doctrinal beliefs.  Next time I'll write about how making disciples is both easy and hard, until then, I'd love to hear about what you think is involved in making disciples.  Please jot a thought or two (or more) below as a comment and let me know what you think is involved in making disciples.  If you'd like, let me know if you are making disciples or if you feel that you have ever made a disciple of Jesus.  I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Yes, twice. Once successfully and once unsuccessfully. You have to have the time and be willing to make the commitment. It is costly. Like the difference between "random acts of kindness" and lovingkindness. Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, thanks for your comments. Thanks for your investment in people and your continued desire to do so. I know that whom ever you would commit to love and point to Jesus would be some of the most blessed. Your influence is powerful!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ed,
    Just started reading your blog and had a few thoughts to share. I am currently part of what is growing into a house church, but I'm also still attending a Methodist church. The mission of this Methodist church is to "make disciples for the transformation of our community..." I have since had several conversations with people and we all feel that this is exactly what we should be doing, but no one seems to know exactly how that is lived out, as you alluded to. We even had a discussion about Luke 10:2 and the plentiful harvest which needs workers. There's so much talk about "making disciples" but little to no actual equipping on just how one makes a disciple. I admit I have been in this camp for some time, until recently, and then it hit me. In order to make a disciple, I must first be a disciple, and from that perspective I sense the pieces coming together for how to communicate discipleship to others. The times when I most thrived as a disciple were when I was breathing, spiritually speaking: taking off the old and putting on the new. Regular confession of sin and regular ingestion of Scripture. If I can do that in community with one or two other beleivers who come away understanding that they in turn should do that with someone else and reproduce, then a major battle will have been won, I think. I am excited to share this with the members of our house church this week!

    -Lucas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucas,
      If I read your profile correctly, you are in Iraq and learning (have already learned?) Arabic...that is wonderful. I am of Lebanese decent (but I do not speak Arabic). Anyway, thanks for your comments. Have you read Organic Church by Neil Cole? The last section of your comments about by ingesting Scripture, regular confession of sin etc. is exactly what we have developed. We call them Life Transformation Groups. You can read more about them at the following link: http://valleylifechurch.org/life-transformation-groups/ I would only add that we should also be focused on praying for and engaging people who are without Jesus and help them to find Him. Making disciples is simple, but it is not easy. I would enjoy staying connected and encouraging each other as Jesus leads us. It really sounds like you are on the right track Lucas!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts