Is it God, or is it the Caffeine?



I was enjoying a hot Americano with two friends who love Jesus. I do love my coffee strong and black (or is it black and strong?). We were discussing a passage in the Bible when I noticed a man craning his neck to listen in on our conversation. My friends had their back to this man. In the middle of our conversation, I broke out telling my friends the story of how I met Jesus; which they had heard a dozen times before. My friends had a look of bewilderment, but I just went on telling my story. After we wrapped up our time of coffee and conversation, we headed to the door. One of my friends asked me why I had told the story of how I met Jesus? I replied by telling him that the man sitting behind him was listening in to our conversation and I simply felt the something in my soul nudging me to tell my story so the man could hear the gospel incognito.

At that very moment, the man who was listening to our conversation came through the door of the coffee shop. He mentioned he had heard our conversation and asked if we were going to meet there again because he would like to join us the next time. That began a new friendship that expanded to our inviting Jerry to meet with us anytime he would like to. A couple of years later, I spoke at Jerry’s funeral with many of his friends hearing the gospel of Jesus.

When I felt the nudge of the Spirit to share my story, fear rose in my mind. What would my friends think? Was what I sensed from God or from the caffeine from the coffee? How could I know?

One of my mottoes when it comes to talking about Jesus is that “It is always the right time to love”. Learning to hear and respond to the voice of God is an art form that all believers can learn to discern…with practice. That is exactly what I did while sipping hot, strong, black coffee with friends. I practiced, took a risk and followed what was the nudge of the Holy Spirit. I learned a lot that day about how God speaks to my soul regarding talking about the gospel of Jesus.

Why not give it a try this week? Pray for the Lord to nudge you at some point to talk about His story. That IS His desire! He will answer that prayer and you will be surprised at how natural it will become…over time, as you practice the art of hearing from Jesus.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this post. Feel free to comment below!

For more information on your natural ability to share the gospel go to www.wildfiregospel.com

Comments

Popular Posts